Monday, August 22, 2011

Pleasure, Happiness & Joy

These are all sentiments or words that have been used to express people at one time or another.  I've noticed in life that people usually affiliate happiness with circumstances.   Happiness is often characterized by good luck or fortune.  Frequently used to describe a person's feelings when something good happens to them.  Happiness is also a feeling that some people use to describe a state of being when romantically involved, which is characterized by emotions.

Pleasure on the other hand, is used to describe a sense of enjoyment or satisfaction derived from what is to one's liking; gratification; delight. Pleasure is usually achieved with a worldly or frivolous enjoyment.  It is also defined as one's will, desire, or choice.

Joy is defined as the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation.   Intense and especially ecstatic or exultant happiness.

The more I pondered the three, I began to truly think about each words meaning and the antonyms of each.  The antonyms of happiness are- sad, unfortunate or unlucky.   The antonyms of pleasure are- anger, discontentment or resentment.  Whereas, the antonyms of joy are- misery, sorrow or grief.  While contemplating this information I decided to think about each and how they correlated to my life.   I began to realize that the moments of pleasure that I experienced were times that I was doing something that I had an interest in; such as an activity, hobby, or even eating… I can remember pleasure being easily replaced by resentment or anger.   So, I continued to scrutinize my life and was able to remember those times when happiness was what I felt.  I felt happiness at the high points in my life; such as a promotion at work, a new car, or a shopping spree. The moments of happiness gave greater fulfillment than the moments of pleasure, but still wasn't everlasting.   I was excited at the time for my good news, my nice clothes, my new car but I eventually became jaded with my position at work and tired of my clothes and wanted something different. Essentially the happiness lasted longer than pleasure but still faded momentarily.    As I continued thru this journey in my mind I approached  my life in the present tense and thought about the many trials and tribulations that I've been faced with daily but in spite of this a sense of peace within is felt.    It was at that moment I realized that what I now possess is Joy

It brought a smile upon my face as I realized that the words that I once thought could have been one in the same were very different.  The difference in the three words was clear; JOY IS A DEEPER LEVEL OF HAPPINESS!  Joy is something that you can hold in the midst of trials, that emits a sense of tranquility. Like the birth of a child, the love of a parent, the bond of a sibling! Pleasure and Happiness can be controlled by you or others BUT Joy is too powerful and permanent to be controlled by man! Joy can only be obtained through Christ.  I realized that by possessing Joy I have the strongest, purest emotion there is! When you possess Joy you experience happiness and pleasure to the 10th power 

The Tears of Sadness, Misery, Sorrow and Resentment
were the Stepping Stones used to help me Appreciate and Cherish
the Minutes of Pleasures, Moments of Happiness and Eternity of Joy! 

" Joy is not in things, but in us. Joy is the feeling of grinning inside! "


So today my voices are asking:  Would you rather have one of the three...or the one that contains them all??  The Choice is Yours!!

Until Next Time…

2 comments:

  1. Hi everyone, this is something that I wrote in 2007. As you can see I have been through many phases in my life. Hope someone can relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me Smile...

    ReplyDelete