Monday, August 15, 2011

Dare Yourself to Do Better


Yesterday my mom said "you’re just as bad as your son is with that gadget!" At first I was offended because I thought there was no way possible that my using my phone could be compared to Blake’s playing of video games. Even though I didn’t agree, I began to pay attention to how often I picked up my phone. I was astonished at how often this was… that made me take it a step further and start paying attention to exactly what I was doing when picking up my phone. And guess what, it’s a whole lotta nothing!! I’m doing one of the following… glancing through emails, playing Words with Friends or whatever random game I’m addicted to at the time, checking Facebook, reading Twitter or looking at pictures that I’ve already seen. I was instantly disappointed in myself, I’m not even sure when this compulsiveness with my phone started and exactly what I’ve been missing out on because of this uncontrollable urge to accomplish nothing.

Me being the googling queen that I am, decided to research habit. And it is defined as an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary. Which is quite similar to having an addiction. I read that it takes about 30 days to break a habit and wasting so much time on non-productive things is definitely a habit I want to break. I would hate to be one of those people like on T.V. that are constantly on their phones ignoring the beautiful things that can or are going on around them. So I decided to dare myself to do better and I am going to do a 30 Day Challenge of Betterment; and I encourage you to join me in this challenge. The guidelines include:
  1. Evaluating a habit that you have that takes away from your productivity
  2. Think about constructive things that you could do in place of that thing
  3. Set realistic goals of what you will do with your time
  4. If you fail, start over from day one
It’s just that simple! My 30 Days of Betterment Challenge include NO PHONE for 4 hours a day! I am going to COMPLETELY devote an hour to my children, an hour to my mate, and 2 hours to self betterment as a whole (time with God, time perfecting a skill, exercising, etc). This will not only help me break that habit or addiction but it will help me to build on the relationship that I have with Demond and the Kids! I wish you luck…no scratch that... I don’t believe in luck, I wish blessings upon you! Keep me posted on your challenge.

So today my voices are saying: Realize who you Are, Accept Who you Were and Strive to Become Better! Your past can only hold you back if you allow it. Today is the day to begin a journey to a better you! A You that is Productive, Loving & Considerate!

I am Better than I Was, Not All that I Shall be, but Loving who I Am…A Work in Progress, Headed in the right Direction!

It’s never too late to become a better you.. Challenge yourself to become better!!

Until Next Time…

2 comments:

  1. OOps Tash, no respond to this one, simply because when it comes to limiting a cell phone, you are really dealing with one of the most used gadgets in the now. For every 5 cars I pass in the morning atleast 3 of the 5 are on the phone. Just like anything else they can be helpful and harmful. I actually was a walking telephone book at one time now I don't know any numbers because they are programmed in my phone and I don't manually dial anymore. Moving forward I believe in having quality time even if I just want to be still for 30 minutes a day with tv off, radio off, phone on silent, etc. Continue to peel the layers we are going to get to the bottom of this before it is over lol Love you Maw Maw

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL you're right Ma. But i've been doing much better. I've been letting Blake and DJ talk a hole in my head...and believe me that's hard!! They never stop!!

    ReplyDelete