Thursday, January 12, 2012

Never Too Young To Learn Humility


My son Demond Jarvis (DJ) is a very talkative, inquisitive 11 year old. He is far from modest and does not mind letting people know just how smart he is. He prides himself in making straight A’s and excelling in Math. Thinking back, I can remember his last 3rd grade award ceremony when he said "Wow! Ma, can you see how big those trophies are? Next year that’s going to be me!" A 4th grade girl, walked away with 3 trophies for the highest LEAP scores in different subjects… that was the very moment that my son decided to strive for excellence in all things and set his first academic goal.
 
"And for ALL A Honor Roll in the 5th grade we have Demond Jarvis! Not only is Demond the only 5th grader with all A’s, he is also in the running for Student of the Year" the principal announced during the 1st Honor Roll Assembly. My husband and I gleamed with excitement at the possibility of our son being Lake Pontchartrain Elementary School’s next 5th grade Student of the Year.
 
"Next up we have the highest LEAP scores; in Math we have Demond Jarvis and in Social Studies we….we also have Demond Jarvis" said the teacher announcing the LEAP awards.  This was one of the many accomplishments that DJ set his mind to and achieved.

"Just like I got the highest LEAP score I’ll also get Student of the Year, mark my words" DJ says with a twinkle in his eyes. As I look at my baby, all I can see is someone that believes that the sky is the limit and all I could do is smile. His carefree attitude about achieving what some people deem impossible is refreshing, but scary at the same time.
 
DJ walked in the door with a bouquet of balloons, assorted candy bars decorating the bottom, accompanied by a cup that read "Congratulations 5th Grade Student of the Year." My husband and I looked at one other in amazement.
 
This 9 weeks however, DJ brought home his 1st C! I was very upset on one hand, but ok on the other. The reason I was ok is because I feel that he needed to be humbled. . I know that it is important to be confident and believe in yourself, but I also need him to know that there will be some disappointments in life. He has not experienced any letdowns yet. Some may think that this is a lesson that a 5th grader does not need to know, but I feel that this is a vital ingredient to raising a good man.

Moral of the Story: I feel that everyone should understand..
"Swallow your pride occasionally, it's non-fattening!" ~Author Unknown
"It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help." ~Author Unknown
"Talent is God Given. Be Humble. Fame is man-given. Be Grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be Careful"

It's good to set goals and achieve them. But it's even better to allow your good works to speak for themself.  Sometimes people can get so carried away in what they've accomplished and what they are capable of doing,  that they forget the determination and will that it took them.  Never get so caught up in what you've done, that you forget about what you need to do!

All in all, I am a Very Proud Momma! Congratulations DJ, We Love You!!

5 comments:

  1. I am in tears... That's my baby!! We just got off the phone, but I get it and I'm sure he does or will (with your help) too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats DJ, keep up the good work!!! Also congrats to you Tasha, Demond Sr and Blake for maintaining an environment conducive for achieving excellence.

    Reg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats DJ, keep up the good work!!! Also congrats to you Tasha, Demond Sr and Blake for maintaining an environment conducive for achieving excellence.

    Reg

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATS to Dj but also Congrats to the parents for being the parents you are..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats DJ. N to ur parents for a job well done. Luv u guys

    ReplyDelete