Sunday, January 22, 2012

Life of Contentment


I have been a Computer Technician for about 9 years now.  I can remember years ago, I was working for Lockheed Martin and I was content with my life.  I had a decent job, an ok salary, my own home, and healthy children.  In my mind, being the country girl that I am, I was already living at my full potential.

As time went on and I grew as a person and in the word, I soon learned that the state of mind that I was in, was a state of contentment.  Simply put, I was settling! I settled for the hand that life dealt me.  While working for Lockheed, Katrina happened…despite the tragedies that were faced because of this hurricane, I received a blessing.  I was hired for a job that opened my mind to something greater than I ever imagined possible at my age living in Louisiana.  I worked with FEMA for 4 years before being laid off.  Looking back, I realize that God allowed me to experience that type of money to change my way of thinking and to help me realize that I was limiting myself in so many ways.  I feel that he wanted me to realize that I have not, not only because I ask not, but because I didn’t deem it possible. 

Having that experience has changed my outlook on life for the better. I no longer settle for what is given or offered to me, I work hard for what I want, speak on what will be, and only accept that which I feel is deserving.

So today my voices are encouraging you to STOP SETTLING!  If you deserve a better job, a better boyfriend/girlfriend, bigger house, more dependable car, whatever it is that you may be more deserving of…GO FOR IT!   

Today I challenge you to change your lifestyle of contentment. There is always a next stage or something else that can be done to better the condition of your life. I want you to literally write down some realistic short term goals each month. As they begin to materialize, I want you to highlight them.  At the end of each month, what ever is left, carry it over to the next month and add it to your new monthly goals…and so on. 
The fulfillment you get from reaching your goals will give you the boost needed to start making long term goals. Once you develop the belief in your ability to achieve things the sky will be the limit!  I look forward to you accomplishing great things.  Keep me posted

…Until Next Time 

2 comments:

  1. I learned that lesson a long time ago to stop settling for less. Sometimes we settle for a job because it pays well but we sacrifice our kids. I worked at a prison for seven years because the money was good even though it was at the expense of my kids. They had to spend their nights at a 24 hour daycare while I worked nights. Eventually I started working days but that was bad because I had to wake my kids up at 3 am. After deciding that the money wasn't worth it I started working for a company that I said I would never work for Wal-Mart. Now both me and my kids are in our own beds every night. I am making more money and working less hours. I can put my kids on the bus everyday except when I have to be out of town for a business trip. The best part is I am surrounded by free people and not murders, thieves, or rapist. My life is now stress free and my kids are my priority. I made a promise to myself I would never work another night shift in my life. In the last three years I've only worked one and that was by choice. I've learned never settle for less and what God has in store for you no man can take. They may hinder or put obstacles in your way but eventually those obstacles are removed and you will receive your blessings. I have and I no I will continue to be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! Money is important but peace of mind is priceless. God's blessings are not one size fits all…each is tailor made! Oooh, I like that! LOL

    ReplyDelete