Monday, July 9, 2012

New Found Love

Growing up I was never one to really read books. My mom bought me many books, but I would start them and never finish. I never fully grasped the concept of people loving to read. They would seem so captivated by books and I always wished that I was able to do the same. As I got older I noticed that people whom read books seemed a bit more diverse. Their vocabulary and way of thinking was much different from mine…now I haven’t done a study or read anything to support my observation but this is MY take on the situation. To me they always seemed more organized and focused.

One day at work my friends Tia and Steph gave me a book and said that I would love it! The title of the book was ‘The Coldest Winter Ever’ by Sistah Souljah…this is where it all started! I can remember telling them "that book is waaay to big I’ll never finish it", but apparently they knew something that I didn’t. I not only finished the book but I loved it and it opened an entirely new world for me! One where I was able to use my imagination to transform the words on the pages into vivid images in my mind, it’s because of them that I have a new found joy of reading.

When reading a good book and I have to stop for whatever reason, I feel like I’ve paused a movie that I want to hurry and get back to. I’m soo proud of myself for opening my mind to something different and giving it a chance to become a part of me. Recently I joined a book club and I was thinking that maybe I’ll start giving a synopsis about the books I read on my blog.
I think of this as part of my journey that I want you guys to experience with me. I’ll start posting the name of the books before I read them and if you like to read and discuss them with me feel free.

Love You Tia and Steph! And if I’ve never said thanks, here’s a shout out to you! J

…Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment