Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hurricane Isaac

It started off as typical day when there's a bad storm. We all slept in one room because I didn't want us split. The boys were on a mattress on the floor and we were in the bed. We rose to no electricity, no water and HUNGRY! Demond went in the garage to fix breakfast on the grill and we followed behind him… outside the clouds were threatening, the rain was endless but there was still a sense of calmness in the air despite the strong winds.  We looked around and noticed that the area behind the house was flooded and so was the street in front of the house.  But there was still grass that was visible along the side of the house and in the front.  We went back inside and ate, we may have stayed inside for about an hour or so…when we went back outside everything had changed drastically it was now extremely gloomy outside, there was no sign of grass only water that went back as far as we could see… What was once visibly our yard, our street, our driveway was replaced with never-ending water resembling a lake with mailboxes, houses and cars strategically placed in it.  

We called to be rescued because the water rose really fast. I grabbed everyone's hand and we made a circle on the floor, it was time to pray..."Lord we come before you giving you all the glory, all the honor and all the praise! I pray the blood covering over me and my family, I ask that you send your angels to watch over and protect us during this storm. We love you Lord, Amen."

A fire truck came hours later "Someone will be back in 25 minutes to get you, be ready!" was shouted through the intercom. We opened the door without thinking and a tidal wave of water stormed in the house, it was instant panic as the water poured into the house. We closed the door and tried to absorb as much water as possible. Later a boat came that took us away from our home.  We floated away with all signs of coming back to anything pointing at slim to none.  

While in the boat we were surrounded with devastation but not defeat so that in itself was a blessing. During this test God used so many people to show his Greatness and for that I will always be thankful.  God's favor just kept shining through so many people.  The love, sincerity and concern showed by our family and friends has truly been an amazing gift from God.  Initially people are inclined to say "If you need anything let me know" but we are blessed enough to be surrounded by people that actually mean what they say.

...Until Next Time

Outside My Front Window

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for such an inspiring message. I was able to sense your love for God and for your family. You knew that you were cast down but not destroyed. Regardless of what was going on around you, there still was a sense of peace in the midst of the storm. To God be the Glory, Desert Flower, you just earned that name. We are watching the Desert Flower BLOOM in the midst of the storm and rain. What an awesome God. Love you. Maw Maw

    ReplyDelete
  2. When things happen, your first thought is always...What can I do to make this better?...It was certainly my thought. I was so far away in miles, but not far away in spirit and heart. It was as if I was experiencing the flood with you and my boys. We've always had a bond that no one could understand, we would be apart and feel what the other was feeling, right down to being sick together, when we were apart. This storm, was no different, I was extremely worried and afraid for a minute but I can only attribute my calmness and feeling of security, to the fact that I too, found a spot to pray. The only thing I could do from so far away was to talk to God for "us". I love you and all of my family at home. I agree with My Mommy, you are truly blooming in the midst of your storm, with an awesome Husband and Kids to match.
    Love you much,
    Your Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's so much I can say to you right now, but I won't. I'll just leave you with Proverbs 8:35-36. Life and favor!!

    You're such an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in tears my friend. But God was with you and your family the entire time! Material things can be replaced. The only thing that matters is you guys are safe and made it out. Thank you God for sending your angels to wrap their arms around u and ur family!

    Love u! ~Delva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God for His awesomness and you and your family trust in Him. I admire how you all sought Him before seeking people!:)

    ReplyDelete